Sunday, November 20, 2011

Jordan's 18th Birthday Road Kill - I mean gourmet dinner

So - for Jordan's 18th birthday he thought he might like to eat some unusual food - and just like his cat he watned rabbit - but I couldnt stomach ordering that so in the end we ordered:
  • Crocodile
  • Emu
  • Kangaroo
  • Duck
  • Goat
I dont know what happened coz the croc never turned up so I added a chook as well to fill the crowds.

First step - light the spit. I used tried and true firelighters with the bbq bricquettes piled on top.

Next step - prepare the food.

Firstly you need a clean surface and a fair amount of space. You may ask about those lemons -- I will get to that. Also the large pepperoni looking sausages - emu.



The raw incredients:
Boneless goat

Extra large chicken

and the duck.
Now to get all that onto the spit.

First of need to roll the goat saddle into a rolled roast shape and hold in place with butchers twine. Quite a fiddly job but I think it the end it looked quite professional.

 For the goat I only lightly seasoned with some salt and pepper and brushed lightly with olive oil.













Next we tackle the duck. The problem is - how to get that duck to stay on the spit roast pole? Easy - shove an orange onto the stick and then put the duck over the orange and tie it on. The orange not only helps keep the duck in place but also imparts a nice orange flavour (duck lerang anyone?)

Yep - that gets shuffed inside the duck lying behind

For the duck I made sure was dry inside and out and then rubbed the cavity with some butter and salt and pepper. The orange would impart some flavour.


The chicken has the same large cavity so needed something to keep it on the spit. This time I thought a lemon (you know - like lemon chicken). Again just dried the chicken but this time I added a good dosing of rosemary into the cavity with the butter and salt and pepper.


The duck and chicken were trussed with the butchers twine and along with one more piece of goat was all tied up on the spit pole. After the briquettes have mostly turned white (about 30 minutes) spread it around (because i used the whole length of pole make sure the briquettes are also along the longth of the spit) and put on the meat. I think at this point it was about 3:30 pm with dinner anticipated 6:30 to 7. I was a bit worried about the chicken as it was much larger then the other meat.

From the left - goat, chicken, duck and goat again.
 I was quite proud of the trussing.


Goat

Chicken

Duck
 Note the skewers holding all the meats firm so they rotate firmly with the spit and hence cook evenly.

Goat -- again.

Close up of chicken with a lemon up its -- uhmm - cavity.
Well this blogging takes longer then I thought!

I guess the results will have to wait to tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. haha love it dad!!! defiantly worth a blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see how it turned out! Looks very intiguing :)

    ReplyDelete